Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sorrel Eggs

This is my sorrel harvest from my garden. There's a lot more where that came from.
 
Often I've just used it's lemony goodness in salads, but I saw this Mother's Day article in the NY Times about Sorrel Eggs and decided to try some out. I can't follow her recipe exactly due to butter and cream. I've been sauteeing some green garlic (farmer's market) and about six chopped up sorrel leaves in 1 tablespoon of butter and two tablespoons of half and half and then poaching the two eggs in that.

These are the poached eggs, the sorrel cream sauce sticks to the egg like a custard kind of. I also tried making this as a sauce, but it didn't turn out as well.
 

We had these eggs on top of steamed washington asparagus, with a few gnocchi, maybe an ounce of smoked salmon each, and a dash of parmesan. SO good. I got the asparagus and smoked salmon at the farmer's market (tell me when i am becoming a broken record on this one) and added the salmon because its a natural partner to the sorrel, but it's no problem to leave that out. Same with the gnocchi, which I steamed with the asparagus. I added them because they were good with the sauce and to make this a bit heartier after a morning run. Gnocchi has always been a favorite of mine that I thought I would have to stop eating re: calorie counting, but I've actually found I can reduce the serving size no problem and still really enjoy it. In this recipe Charlie and I each shared one serving of gnocchi.
 

We also enjoyed them benedict style on a sandwich thin, with half a hashbrown patty and veggie sausage. On top is chive from the garden, with roasted whips on top. Way better than putting the chive flower in salad.
 





Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment