Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Solstice Miracle

For the most part, I blog on weekend mornings when I should be studying (or running), and then I schedule my posts throughout the week. Yesterday's post was written on Sunday morning, which has been officially named the darkest day in June for all time in Seattle. As most of you are aware, life in Seattle is only made possible by the gift of gorgeous summers with endless daylight. When you are experiencing a truly dark, as in the newsman tells you science confirms it's dark, day on June 20, things are dismal.

After writing about my garden on Sunday, it was a tad warmer and brighter yesterday, so on a break from class Monday night, I added that paragraph about how at least we are able to harvest some things, so gardening is not a total waste of time, before the post went up. But today, glorious sunny and over 70 today, a miracle has occurred. When I surveyed my plants, I did not have the same depressing sense that I needed to check my plants into the ICU, in fact they showed awesome signs of survival.

I have a cherry tomato growing. Sun Golds' seriously are the ultimate. Normally I just like them for taste, but this is a true survivor that belongs in any Seattle garden.
 

In the best of years, I struggle with peppers. Let's face it, Seattle summers can be sunny, but they usually aren't hot. Even last year with the 100 degree days, I only got a few tiny peppers. But check this bad boy out. Not even phased by dark 45 degree days. This is they Gypsy pepper. Buy one. If it has good flavor, this will be the only pepper plant I ever bother with.
 

And perhaps most surprisingly, this zucchini is sending out flowers and forming a fruit. Wow. Totally unexpected.
 

Don't get me wrong, I have been doing my absolute best to baby these plants through the worst June in Seattle history. Normally I would not grow them in containers on the front cement, they would be in the colder raised beds. But this is the hottest spot. I trim the yellow leaves off and I spray them with blossom setting spray whenever it isn't raining.
 

I have even fashioned small greenhouses for the most sensitive plants.
 

Even more surprising were the backyard discoveries. We have never gotten apples, yet look at these ugly things on top of the bird feeder baffle. Wow.
 

We also have not had much luck on the raspberry frontier in years past, but we have many on there way and this beautiful tree above them is setting blossoms. So pretty.
 

This is my surprise harvest from tonight. Spring onions, Italian dandelion greens, borage, greek oregano, marjoram, arugula blossom, parsley, sorrel, mint, and lemon verbena. Plus, we ate a stirfry that included spring onion, onion scape, and snow peas from the garden. Delicious.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment