Monday, June 7, 2010

Broccoli Rabe from the Farmer's Market

Young broccoli raab or rabe (also called rapini) is more verstile than the mature version (pronounced RAH-PAY in Italiano, I won't be writing the english word here) and can be simply steamed and served or added to pasta, soup or anything a green would be good with. In fact you can probably get away with not cooking it at all. It's older counterpart, needs to be blanched before serving, it's heartier and a bit bitter. Frances Mayes actually described it as Italian soul food (a reference to collards? She is Southern) and the kind of food that has so much nitrogen it makes you feel instantly better after you eat it. Mature rabe great with red pepper and parmesan on pasta. How to tell which one you have purchased? Stem size. The mature version has a thicker stem almost like Broccolette. Try as I might, I can't seem to grow the stuff, so I've been relying on the farmer's market to get it.

We enjoyed rapini steamed with salt, pepper and olive oil on top. If i had a lemon, i would have squeezed a wedge worth of juice on here - Linsey and I had it this way only cold instead of hot at Via Tribulani, it was really good.
 

I also thought the rapini was good served steamed along side a fried egg, one of my favorite ways to enjoy greens. I might be getting repetative with my love of fried eggs, but seriously EVERYTHING is better with an egg on top.
 

Later I bought a more mature bunch and made a barley porcini risotto with it. So good.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment