Saturday, January 16, 2010

Winter Vegetable Quesadilla

  Have I mentioned my root vegetable pile? It's winter, I belong to a CSA, philosophically I want to eat locally, but boy do I have roots. I worry this blog isn't very original - also for anyone who is reading this blog, I promise that there will be interesting fresh from the garden spring posts when April rolls around. Until then, here's something I make with left over roasted root vegetables. I make this into a brunch when I invoke my theory that everything is better with an egg on top, but you could also top it with salsa and enjoy it for dinner.

Winter Vegetable Quesadilla
Serves 2

1 big wrap (I use La Tortilla Factory LowCarb wraps, they are low cal whole grain and high fiber)
2 oz cheese, this picture shows two slices of provolone, but cheddar or mozzarella would be fine
1 cup roasted root vegetables
1 egg (optional)
chipotle tabasco (yes i love this stuff, but it's optional)
salt and pepper

Since this is a way for me to use left overs I start by putting my root veggies in the pan to heat up. I use a lodge cast iron flat. Then I plop my wrap on a plate, put the cheese on it - make sure it's evenly distributed - and pop it into the microwave for 1 minute. When that dings, I take the plate out and pour the root veggies from the pan on to half of the wrap. Then put the full wrap back on the pan to crisp. See picture:

 

Once you are here, fry up the egg if you are using it. Keep your quesadilla in the pictured state for about a minute and then fold it up.
 
Then after less than a minute flip it to the other side. I like to press down on it a bit. Cut it in half and serve with your desired garnishes. Like egg and chipotle tabasco. Or try salsa, sour cream or avocado.


 

5 comments:

  1. what a great idea! i have been making your root vegetable recipe a lot lately and have had trouble using all the leftovers. i'm excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is seriously the weird thing about winter csa boxes. I constantly have a ton of roots and this all i can think of to do with them is the roasted root vegetables. Other leftover uses for them: instead of fries, hash with eggs, with black beans in a burrito or enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh great ideas! now i'll look forward to experimenting with the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i made this dish tonight. we thought it was great! :) i did put the egg on top. next time, maybe guacamole too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. guacamole! what an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete