Sunday, January 17, 2010

How Does One Scramble Tofu?

Way back in the day, Charlie and I lived on Capitol Hill and there was an awesome spot on Olive called the Green Cat Cafe. A vegetarian place with the best Tofu Scramble ever. I can't even describe how mouth watering it was. Sadly, they are no longer there and we are no longer on Capitol Hill, but the memory lives on and I've been attempting to make a Tofu Scramble of my own. The two posted here were pretty good, but never quite reach the level I was going for. I made a new once since that is radically different and I'll post about it soon, but I think the trick there was Spike - a product with nutritional yeast - thank you Erica and Jenny! Since these were good vegetable combos I'm posting them here and adding them with the Spike I didn't use when we actually ate them.

 

The veggie combo in the picture above was inspired by the oven baked samosa recipe.

Tofu Scramble
Serves 2

10-12 oz Tofu
1 Tablespoon Curry powder
salt and pepper
1 tsp Spike
Dab of oil
Vegetables of your choice -
pictured above is onion, peas and carrots, below is mushrooms

Saute your veggies in oil, start with onion if you are using it, then add as you chop, roots before others. Add a bit of water to the pan as well as your Curry, Spike, and salt/pepper. Then add tofu and scramble away. Serve with toast or a veggie patty from Morningstar - which are so good and low cal you really should be eating them regardless of your dietary status.

 

2 comments:

  1. another breakfast joint with a good tofu option is mae's. their tofu breakfast is very tasty. not scrambled, but still awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that place is awesome. How do they serve it if not scrambled? I used to use my slow cooker a lot before, so I'm trying to get it back out. It's great for bean dishes. Chili recipe coming soon.

    ReplyDelete