Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Root Enchiladas

Although I could almost title this post: More Uses for Leftover Roasted Root Vegetables, these are so good, these enchildas might merit making the roasted root vegetables for!
 

Root Enchiladas
Serves 2 (heartily)

4 wraps (I use La Tortilla factory low carb, high fiber)
1 cup spinach
1 cup black beans
1 cup roasted root vegetables
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1/2 - 1 cup green salsa (I prefer green here, but red is fine)
4 tablespoons sour cream or yogurt (optional)

Preheat oven to 400. Spray down a pyrex rectangle with Pam or olive oil. If you are using cheese, save about half for the top of the casserole and use the other for filling inside the enchiladas. Begin each wrap by putting some spinach on the bottom, followed by black beans, followed, by roots, then cheese. Try to center your filling over the bottom part of the widest part so that when you roll it up, you can overlap the tortilla somewhat. As you finish wrapping, put each enchilada into the pyrex until you have four like so:

 

Spray the tops of the wraps with more Pam or olive oil, then spread the green salsa over the top, so that the enchiladas are covered but not so thickly that you can't see them. If you are using cheese or sour cream/yogurt, distribute the cheese on top and drizzle your crema over. Since everything is already cooked, 30 minutes in the oven should suffice. You want it to be thoroughly heated and the cheese to melt. I let this "marry" about ten minutes, which made it cool enough to eat right away. Enjoy!

 

Side note: I have been buying organic plain yogurt lately and using it for everything. Before my attempt to buy things more organically, I used to use Darigold's Mexican Style Sour Cream, which really is better and I would go back to once I can find it in Organic - it's just thicker or something, although using yogurt is probably lower calorie and better for you. So maybe I won't.

1 comment: