Saturday, March 5, 2011

Creative Tacos

Since giving up meat, I've discovered that most vegetables/vegetarian dishes make delicious tacos. Though I am still occasionally wistful for carnitas, trying everything else in a tortilla has been a satisfying endeavor. Here are some great combos you can try at home.

Sauteed Zucchini, Basil, and Parmesan - this actually has yellow squash and squash blossom as well, but I just happen to have that. If you don't mind a little half and half, it coalesces the mix nicely, but is not necessary.
 

Banh Mi taco - we had some banh mi fixings left over and no bread, so I popped this into a corn tortilla instead. Charlie walked into the room as I was spreading the mayo on the tortilla and said "I like where this is going." We were still laughing as we ate.
 

Paneer curry with edamame, green beans, and carrots. The sauce I used is the coconut curry costco sells. You can also use any curry simmer sauce from trader joe's or make your own. This could be made vegan by subbing in tofu or potato for the paneer cheese. I had planned to only serve this over rice, but I remembered my odd taco successes of late and served it with tortillas as well, which really isn't a far cry from the round Indian flatbread Roti. When we were in Malaysia, a very popular street food dish was Roti Canai - which was basically a curry taco with Roti. This turned out so good that in future I'd make this for lunch without the rice.


Nearly every Mark Bittman post is irresistible to me, so after he posted about fava beans as an untraditional breakfast, I swooped into The Spanish Table to get some. I knew from experience at The Phoenicia restaurant on Alki, that ful madammes could not be made with fresh fave from the garden, but was a product of dried cooked beans and given how laborious it is to prepare fresh fave, I figured I would just pick up a can. Later, I read a blog post from a couple who tried doing the dried beans themselves and I am seriously glad I went for canned! Ful madammes is usually served with flatbread or pita, so why not a breakfast taco? Delicious!


Yet another variation of the Marination Mobile's "Sexy Tofu." Love this. Marinated tofu grilled up with some creamy slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment