Saturday, February 26, 2011

Banh Mi

So I disappeared for awhile there. Sorry! I think trying to do two blogs was too much. Plus the camera that I used for the blog died on our vacation. And has anyone else noticed how annoying picasa is? I should probably migrate this over to a word press/flicker thing some day, but I don't really want to bother to learn that either. Anyway I've got dozens of old posts that I started and never posted - but I think they are all good eats, so I will just spend a little time getting caught up and re-learning how to do this before you see some new stuff.

In the meantime - here are two banh mi sandwiches we enjoyed this summer. Banh mi are Vietnamese sub sandwiches. If you've never had one, I recommend finding a spot immediately and buying the best $2 sandwich you'll ever find. Lately Charlie and I have been going to Seattle Deli - he gets grilled pork and I get tofu. So good. $5 for both. This is our new treat before going to costco, which has the added benefit of not having us shop hungry at a store where it is difficult to spend less than $100.

The vegetables in banh mi are usually daikon radish and carrots, slightly pickled in rice vinegar with cilantro - in my version below i used french radish, carrot, cucumber and basil.
 

I have no idea how they make their tofu so magical at Seattle Deli, but for my home version I marinated some tempeh in teriyaki, which I later grilled up on my cast iron pan. I sauteed my snap peas in some teriyaki for a healthy side.
 

The sandwich is constructed with layers of veggies and tempeh with mayo and siracha. That lovely flower is a borage blossom from the garden.
 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see the blog back up! Your Banh-mi looks delicious. The Borage flower is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete