Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spanish Tortilla

Basically a potato frittata, this dish is simple, satisfying and versatile. You can enjoy it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It can be eaten hot or cold. And it is also commonly served at tapas - Spain's version of happy hour - with romesco sauce. You will get a lot of leftovers from the dish, so it's nice that it works well for so many occasions.



I loosely followed Mark Bittman's recipe to make this. But basically you slice potatoes thinly, saute them in what seems like too much olive oil until they are nearly done cooking, remove them and then saute thinly sliced onions in the olive oil not absorbed by the potatoes for several minutes. Salt and pepper liberally, then combine it all in one oven proof pan (I used a cast iron skillet for the whole thing. Bittman does the potatoes and onions together, but I just couldn't fit it all in my pan. Now that you have the onions and potatoes combined in the pan, pour your eggs over the top so that you have enough egg to mostly cover the vegetables. I used a pint of egg beaters instead of whole eggs. I have been trying not to eat so many yolks, so I reserve whole eggs for when I want them fried or poached and not scrambled. Mark Bittman cooks his on the stove top and flips it to cook it evenly. I am just not that skilled, so I cook mine in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes or so. You can see from the detail below that I've done it this way because my vegetables stick up out of the egg mixture.



We ate it plain, practically straight from the oven the first time, but later enjoyed it slightly warm with some homemade romesco sauce - which I made by tossing half a cup of sundried tomatoes, a quarter of a cup of sliced almonds, a generous sprinkle of smoked Spanish paprika and a roasted red pepper into the food processor until I had a nice paste. There are more complicated and smoother versions of romesco out there, but this was really good and used some stuff we had hanging around in our fridge. I could have added more olive oil to smooth it out, but I was happy with the texture as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment