Thursday, December 17, 2009

Protein

It makes you full.

I have been having a slight problem since going veg that I don't feel quite as full after I eat, which I think is probably just an adjustment. But since my biggest fear is regressing to the bread vegan I was in college (basically all I ate was bagels, odwalla juice and soy ice cream - a pint a day, I kid you not), where I was really not getting proper nutrition. Though we can't blame veganism for that, I was a poor university student responsible for foraging my own food. Still I want to be sure that I get lots of good vegetables (which i am much better about in general now), whole grains, and complete proteins in my diet this time around. Which frankly should be a lot easier since the vegetarian market has expanded so much in the last ten years.

Here's are some of the things I've tried so far:

Morning Star Farms Sausage Patties - These are the bomb. I actually started eating these long before becoming a vegetarian because they are really super tasty and satisfying, plus low fat and high protein. Best place to buy: Costco ($9 for equivalent of 3 boxes) or Fred Meyer (frequently has sales for 3/$10). Uses: By itself for breakfast or a snack.

Tofu - a classic. Totally versatile and tasty in everything. Best places to buy: Uwajimaya has an amazing selection and you can get the kind that is baked in soy sauce or the fried in a bulk packages for under $3. Uwajimaya is also selling tofu puree like soymilk to use as a dairy replacement ($3). I also like Safeway organic firm ($2). Uses: Great in stir fry, curry, and scrambled or try making faux ricotta or cream sauces.

Morning Star Farms Meal Starters "Chicken" - quite tasty, good texture. This is fairly authentic, a bit sweeter than chicken, but not in an unsavory way. We tossed this with sun dried tomatoes and ate it over pasta. Best place to buy: Fred Meyer (frequently has sales for 3/$10). Uses: in anything you would use chicken. I plan to add it to ramen, make quesadillas and curry.

Tempeh - also a classic. I love the texture of tempeh. We had this in a black bean/yam burrito. I think it needs a little salt, but I will definitely buy it again. Best place to buy: I got the Turtle Farms Organic Five Grain at Fred Meyer for $2, which is a great deal. Uses: like tofu, but firmer. I've seen recipes for using it like bacon or pastrami. I'll report back on that.

Light Life Smart Bacon - this is not bacon. It is edible, but best if you are not even trying to make any remote comparison to bacon. Especially if you like bacon and are sad to give it up. I would not buy this again. It's okay tasting, but really expensive compared to these other options and I'll say it again: it's just not bacon. Fred Meyer: $5. We made a "B".L.T. with it using arugala, so it was still pretty good.

Beans - an outstanding supporting cast member. I've been making them in the slow cooker so I don't have to deal with cans. You just toss in a cup or two of dried beans, 2 cups of water per cup of bean and turn it on high, 3-4 hours later you have cooked beans that you can use for the week. You could also do this on low for 6-8 hours. Just freeze what you don't get to that week. This is cheaper, you get more, and use less packaging. Lentils and peas cook faster, so halve the cooking time for them. Best place to buy: any bulk food section or on the rice and bean aisle. Uses: too many too count. I put beans in salads, soups, with eggs, or even sauteed vegetables. Serve with rice to complete the protein.

Quinoa - this fast cooking grain is a complete protein. Use instead of couscous or rice. Find it in your bulk foods section.

2 comments:

  1. It's definitely good to make an Uwajimaya run every now and then. I wish they were closer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the new ideas, michele! i love quinoa and morningstar products, but i need to get more comfortable cooking with tofu and tempeh. i want to make a trip to uwajimaya soon--there is one a few blocks from my parents' house in bellevue, and i eye it every time i drive by but have only gone a few times ever.

    ReplyDelete