Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Organic Eggs - A Suprising Difference

As part of my veggie effort, I made the switch to organic free roaming eggs. I honestly only expected this to make me feel like a better person; I had no idea there would be such a surprising difference between the two.

But there is.

The shells of the organic eggs are so strong I actually have to make a big effort to crack them open. They require a solid wrist flick and whack to make even the slightest crack. It reminds me of that scene in Sabrina, where Audrey Hepburn is getting lectured by the French Chef about how to properly crack an egg. The eggs I used to buy would crack open at a mere glance. Clearly, the organic eggs are coming from way healthier hens.



Here's how we ate them -


Baked Huevos Rancheros
Serves 2
1/2-3/4 Cup of black beans
1/4 Cup salsa
1/2-3/4 Cup Roasted Roots
2 eggs
dash of chipotle tabasco (optional)
1/4 cup shredded cheddar (optional)
sliced avocado (optional)

Preheat oven to 400. Put black beans, roasted root vegetables, salsa, and chipotle tabasco in an oven safe casserole pan or ramekin (i used a small pyrex rectangle). Crack two eggs on top and put in the oven for 15 minutes. Add shredded cheddar to top, cook another 5 minutes, slice up some avocadofor garnish. Serve with bread or tortillas.

 

P.S. I keep a lot of already cooked stuff in the fridge to make life easier. I highly recommend cooking up a bag of beans in the slow cooker each week - it's way cheaper than buying canned and keeps the recycling bin emptier. I'll post instructions soon along with the roasted root vegetable recipe.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment