Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Veggie Thanksgiving

I decided to stop eating land animals about a week before Thanksgiving this year, largely thanks to a series of articles in the New York Times about Jonathan Safran Foer's new book Eating Animals. It was something that had been flitting about in my mind for awhile, but ultimately was a spur of the moment decision - I ate turkey sausage for breakfast that morning and by nightfall was buying tofu at the QFC, and that was that.

So far, so good. Charlie has been really supportive and I ran a better than expected time in the Seattle Half that weekend, so immediate good results on the health frontier.



Because of the unexpected change, I opted to bring a Tofurky to my aunt's house for "Turkey Day". I had never tried much in the way of the faux meats, but I was pretty impressed. We picked up the Tofurky Feast - which includes gravy, dumplings, and jerky. Plus the Tofurky is stuffed with a wildrice stuffing.


I cooked it in a slow cooker so I wouldn't be competing for oven space and followed the suggested recipe on the box by adding chunks of potato and carrot with olive oil, soy sauce and fresh sage from the garden. The result was delicious. Charlie and I happily enjoyed the leftovers and my uncle could not tell the difference with the gravy (so much that he put it on his own turkey).

No comments:

Post a Comment