Monday, February 28, 2011

Morels and other Spring Treats from the Farmer's Market

I am so looking forward to our farmer's market opening back up. I am especially keen to visit the forager again. In another life, I think that could be a great job, but in this one I am afraid of bears, so it's not happening. Instead I will buy my morels from our brave forager and his lovely dog Jasper.

Morels pair especially well with peas and salmon. This is a lovely brown rice risotto - I make it in a cheat way, instead of the laborious adding of broth one cup at a time, I just use left over rice added to sauteed vegetables, some half and half (or non-dairy creamer), and some madeira. This works just fine and takes half the time. I topped the salmon with a roasted scape from the garden. And the risotto is topped with delicious sage blossoms, a little trick I learned from eating at Jerry Traunfield's Poppy restaurant. Delicious!
 

Ahh fresh English Peas from the market. We are only a few months away from enjoying you again.
 

Spring onions and green garlic, the bottom half of whips and scapes, are wonderful farmer's market treats - the milder flavor of these two are perfect for spring dishes.
 

Same again, but with gnocchi instead of rice.
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment