Monday, August 30, 2010

Bi Bim Bap

Dolset Bi Bim Bap is my favorite menu item in Korean Restaurants. It's a bowl of rice with veggies, a fried egg (of course) and usually kalbi beef, but of course here I subbed baked tofu. It arrives to your table in a smokin hot iron bowl, sizzling like fajitas. The desired effect of the presentation is not just to impress the diner, but to create this divine crust of rice at the bottom.

And I love the variety of vegetables the dish features. Variety being the key. I've made this version with shitakes, broccolette, carrots, and arugala, but you could use almost any combo.
 

I've replicated Bi Bim Bap by sauteing rice with a bit of hot and teriyaki sauce, and then letting it sit in the frying pan on medium hit to get the rice to form a crust. After a few minutes, I crack the eggs in and put a lid on for them to cook. The vegetables are sauteed separately in another pan with a touch of teriyaki.
 

Then you put it all together to serve. In Korean restaurants, Bi Bim Bap always comes organized like this for presentation, so that is what I show here, but I've also made this more like a stirfry, which is easier and tastes just as good.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment